Sunday, January 9, 2011

Late Updates from 2010_Dec (Part 2)


In December I also got to travel to South Africa on Med Evac. I broke my tooth a couple of weeks before while I was eating some dried cherries that my sister sent to me from the US in a care package. The bag contained a pit that I bit hard on. The same tooth was already cracked from biting on a little rock mixed up with my rice and beans about two months prior. So the second hard object was sure to break my tooth into three pieces.

One of the great values from volunteering with the Peace Corps is medical coverage which includes Med Evac. If the service cannot be done in the host country, Rwanda, then we get to be med evaced, first to Kenya or South Africa for more complex cases such as dental. Dental care in Africa in general is very poor and only covers basic procedures such as extractions.

IN a nut shell, I got to go on an awesome trip to SA, mainly Pretoria and hang out there for a week. It was very refreshing and rejuvenating. South Africa felt just like home from the minute you land. The airport is very modern, wide clean streets, highways, McD's and all other American chains, shopping malls with all the brand stores and more.

The only difference was the heightened sense of security. All houses are behind erect walls with electrical wires, walking outside at night is considered dangerous. You must call a cab to go anywhere at night, wait for the cab to call back and let you know they're outside before you leave your house or any establishment.

The people there seem to have gotten used to this and don't even think about it. The other disturbing observation is the racist comments and segregation between white and blacks. I guess 16 years is not a long time to completely change people's minds against Apartheid! It took decades before the US came to terms with segregation, and Rwanda still suffers from the effects of the Genocide 16 years ago!

The younger generation, however, seem to be more tolerant and together they're building their country.

I didn't get to do much site seeing while there since I had frequent dentist visits while there. But it was great to experience SA and I will definitely be back there soon.

1 comment:

Sara said...

so what happened at the dentist?
just curious :-P