Thursday, July 30, 2009

Updates on my earlier post titled "My New Home Away from Home"

Moving yet again. this time I'm relocating from the Rwandan capital of Gorillas and volcano mountains to a small little village on the way to my old home of Musanze from Kigali.

My new home is a village...one dirt road that leads at the end of it to the district hospital...the market here is open only twice a week and has 1 or 2 decent restaurants. On the bright side, I get to enjoy quiet time, clean air, and the view of the second largest mountain range in Rwanda.

To coupe with the slower pace in my new village I acquired some additional books to pass my evenings. On my immediate reading list are the following (as of Sept 12, 2009):

Recently finished: We Wish to Inform you That Tomorrow we will be killed with our families: stories from Rwanda by Philip Gourevitch, Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, Three Cups of Tea By Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

Currently reading: The Big Necessity by Rose George
In my possession:
A Thousand Hills: Rwanda's rebirth and the man who dreamt it by Stephen Kinzer ,
Kilimanjaro: a Complete trekker's guide to Africa's Highest Mountain by Alexander Stewart

Book I refuse to continue reading: Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. The writer is too negative and presumptuous!! unless someone can convince me that it gets better I'll leave it at chapter 2!!

Enroute from the my dear friend Huong back in Chicago:
Dead Aide by Dambisa Moyo and Niall Ferguson

Books I'd like to read: Mountains beyond Mountains
I'd like to watch: Real Time with Bill Maher, other HBO shows

4 comments:

MuslimWanderer said...

I wonder if you ever read "mountains beyond mountains".
its a true story of the founder of partners in health, a truly amazing story, and best thing is that the main character, Dr.Paul Farmer is still alive..;)

Ahmed said...

No I haven't read "mountains beyond mountains", but the more I read about the work PIH does here in Rwanda, the more I need to learn about Paul Farmer. He actually lives here in Rwanda with his wife and three children so maybe one day I'll getto meet him!!

nn said...

Oh wow i didn't know he lived in Rwanda.. You gotta meat him! and if you do ask him why doesn't he have a TB program in Egypt!
Tc

Ahmed said...

Hi Nora, 9 years later and I'm reminiscing about my time in Rwanda. So a friend of mine presented me with Mountains beyond Mountains to read and it inspired me I actually got to work with PIH my second year in Rwanda and got to meet and work with Dr Farmer and know him at a personal level.

What's your line of work in Egypt?