Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July Celebration

I'm actually writing this post and the post before from the US Embassy, Kigali library. Today is the 4th of July (US Independence Day) and the embassy is hosting a celebration for the US expatriates and their friends in Rwanda. (4th of July is also Liberation Day in Rwanda and is a national holiday)

I took an early bus this morning from my town to attend the celebration. I was excited to be part of the larger American community here in Rwanda and for a chance to network and meet with other people here and also to grab a burger and enjoy some American food. The speech by the Ambassador was very inspirational and reminded me and others of the role we all play in a small country in the central Africa. The service that we all have to offer in furthering the American dream in sharing liberty and development with the Rwandan people. I must say for a while I was able to overcome the challenges I'm facing during my service here.

Furthermore, the burgers and the potato salad were a score!! Although they were not the same juicy burgers from the States, and where is the popsicles at?!!

Cheers and happy birthday America

No comments: