Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Assignment

So I have two more weeks left on my training then we go to Kigali, the capital for 1 week. Peace Corps has a graduation ceremony followed by a swearing-in ceremony for Peace Corps volunteer at the ambassador's house, which is awesome.

Following the swearing in, we all move to our sites. Mine is at a place called Gankeke (pronounced Gashenhh). It's a small village about an hour north of the capital and about 30 minutes from the second largest city in Rwanda, Musanze. Gakenke is known for some attractions mainly mount Kaboye, the tallest in Rwanda and one of the tallest in Africa it sits about 12,000 ft. My plans are to hike mount kaboye every chance I have. Musanze is actually a tourist attraction with many hotels and cool spots. The main industry is focused on the national parks and the forest where the gorillas reside. It's a popular area and was featured in the national geographic. They also have other large mountains and popular trails.

I'm looking forward to it for sure. Gakenke supports 2 district hospitals and 19 health centers.

The NGO I'll be working with is called Access Project (www.theaccessproject.org). They're affilisted with Columbia University and work in 4 regions around Rwanda in addition to their office in Kigali. They provide management and technical support to health clinics in meeting operations and quality indicators, improving services and access to care. One of their latet projects involves building a new health clinic and a youth center. The NGO staff is amazing and I'm very excited

No comments: