Sunday, March 27, 2011

End of Peace Corps Service

I keep realizing how bad I am in updating my blog, a lot has happened since my last short post as usual and I hope one day I'll have the time and the connection to post updates.

But this post here will be dedicated to mark the end of my Service as a Peace Corps volunteer in Rwanda. I started this blog back in 2008 while I was still in the application process. Now in March 2011, I celebrate this great accomplishment. On Friday, March 25, 2011, I submitted my last stool sample, had my final exit interview and submitted the last of many forms just to be 'closed out' of Peace Corps service.

I'm in now in Stone Town, Zanzibar, relaxing beach side for a few days before heading home end of next week.

The past couple of weeks have been stressful, emotional and bitter sweet as I scrambled to finish projects, said good bye, attended thank you parties, and discovered the love many people in Rwanda have for me. I honestly thought that I can just sneak out after saying quick good byes. Many people in the various places I lived in served in in Rwanda wanted and demanded a proper send off.

In Gakenke, I spend the biggest chunk of my service there, 15 months, and thus it feels the closest to being called home with many friends and family.

I spend one week there earlier this month to have the time to say thank and good bye to my family there. This included my resource family, Frodouard and his wife, the hospital staff at Nemba, the health centers at Gakenke, the guys from the local mosque, Mohammad, his wife Mama Mo'men, and his 3 year old son, Mo'men, who remembers me by name as the guys who brings him candy and got him new sandals!!

I also met with the new district mayor and made a final push to get my two unfinished projects there done. The public library and the rabbit farm remain unfinished as I leave the country, but I'm confident that the PCVs replacing me at my site and my counterpart will finish the job!!

The other two sites I worked at with PIH are in Butaro and Rwinkwavu. leaving Butaro was very hard and taking that last walk at the hospital ground was very emotional. I'm truly going to miss this place, walking around revewing operation and work with the staff on getting the hospital up and running. All the good wishes from the nursing staff, the pharmacy and lab staff, and other admin were appreciated and will stay with me.

I'm going to miss the people of Rwanda, the many places I visited in Rwanda, and the Friends I made there. I hope to return one day but for the time being I'm proud to have finished my 2 years of service and look forward to going home to my family and friends before I take on the next adventure in my life.

I promise I'll post updates once I'm home sweet home CHICAGO.

Love,
Ahmed

No comments: